We had a choice of three glazes – one looked terracotta in the bowl, but turns out blue with brown highlights on the edges/texture; one was pale green and looks pretty much the same when fired; and the third was a reddish brown but not as deep as the blue, and produced a rich brown.

So here are some random pots and bowls, plus two soap dishes. And an owl plaque.









I stopped by the pottery studio a couple of days ago and picked up the glazed pieces that ds2 and I had made. There are two items missing so I’m hoping they didn’t get broken in the second firing. And I still have a lot more to glaze.

But I’m pretty happy with how my yarn bowl turned out. It was the very first thing I made in the class…





The glazing process makes a dull chunk of clay into something beautiful, however wonky! Here are three more of my pieces…




Very exciting!


I am hoping that my dear iPad Mini is now back to full working order. I upgraded to iOS 8.1 tonight, and iPhoto is making me happy again – Camera Roll is back!

I haven’t tested Safari yet or the copy/paste function.

So, it’s been a few days since I showed you the ‘ghan. I think I could have made the stripe section a little longer as the flower strip had to be eased to fit, and now that the shell strip is mostly done it’s looking like I should really detach the grannies and add a couple of rows. However I just wove in a bunch of ends on that piece tonight! So I think it will have to stay as it is.

Only 3.5 more inches to go of the shell pattern, which is very pretty, but the rows seem endless. Thankfully I had the drop-in knit/crochet group on Monday, so was able to chat at the same time, and tonight I have been watching a movie.

The Tuesday afternoon session of converting children from muggles to knitters and crocheters (mua ha ha ha ha) went well, but that was the only time I touched yarn that day. Somehow a day of not working on the afghan just didn’t seem quite right!

I am loving this colourful crochet but I haven’t a clue what I’m going to make next. For now though, I am remaining monogamous.

The boring crochet hook pic has gone, replaced by a portion of a beautiful photo I saw on Facebook the other day. Much prettier, and it even goes quite well with the green background. Also I have checked all the blog links in the sidebar and deleted a few which have not been active for some time. If you have a blog which you’d like me to add to my sidebar (thereby possibly directing more traffic to your site) please leave a comment. Ideally I’d like it to be something relevant to my theme, such as crochet, knitting, veganism, that sort of thing. And active! Regular posts really keep me interested in following a blog.

Actually, my next job should be to look at my WordPress blog feed and add those to the list. I have been remiss at keeping it up to date.

I am helping to teach kids knitting and crochet at the local library this afternoon, so I’d better get on and eat lunch so that I can get there early to photocopy some handouts. Hope your day is fantabulous!

I saw a great theme over at The Pea Green Boat┬árecently. She has a WordPress blog too, and it looks really clean and pretty, and I was inspired to muck about with my blog. Unfortunately I haven’t figured out how to get the photo for the header on the new theme to the right size yet. I tried uploading a couple of pictures and cropping them but they look all weird and stretched out, so I have stuck with my old theme for now.

I did change the header photo – rather funny that I should use a picture of crochet hooks (being Nicola Knits ‘n all) but I wanted something light and relatively unfussy so that the text would show up properly.

I have added some buttons so that people can share my posts – there is a ‘share’ button at the bottom of each post which also includes a Print option, which will hopefully help those of you who want to print my patterns.

Next, I really need to get an up to date photo of myself and change that (maybe a haircut would be a good plan first).

And now I think I’d better check that all those blog links still work, because I haven’t reviewed them in eons.

Hope you had a great weekend. We had beautiful weather again, Tai Chi Man and I enjoyed two long walks, and I nearly forgot but I went to a garage sale that was almost just a yarn sale because two ladies were selling their deceased mother’s stash, and it was huge. Apparently the garage was full to the ceiling two weeks ago – I only saw it today and there was still tons of yarn left. I spent $40 on a tub of yarn, approximately 40 balls. I did a bit of switching between the bins so that I only brought home plain coloured worsted weight acrylic. I know I can use that.

This woman really had achieved SABLE – Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy!


I took this photo earlier today after working more on the stripes. But I wasn’t happy with that flower block, the one with the minty green background and the cranberry coloured flower. So I made another one with the colours reversed and a different centre. I feel it fits much better with the overall look.


I know, bit of a crappy photo, but as you can see there isn’t a misfit square glaring out now!

Great progress today. Two squares finished, and that’s even with me getting my housework done and going out to the pottery studio to glaze some of my pieces. (I took my iPad but completely forgot to take photos.) I still have some items unfired so will have to return to glaze those later.

These flowers aren’t really shown in their true colours. One block is teal, pink and royal blue, the other is orange, cranberry and a minty green.



I’m going to lay everything out on the floor and see how it looks to get an idea of the size.

Edited to add: here are the 21 blocks laid out quickly, in no particular order, with the partial stripe strip. It’s interesting to get an overview.



Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 106 other followers