The back and front of the baby top done, I seamed the shoulders for 6 garter ridges from the armhole edges (about 1.5 inches). Then I picked up stitches around the neck edge. With hindsight, I should have slipped the first stitch of each row as I knitted the back and front pieces, as it would have made for a neater result. As it was, I picked up a stitch for each ridge and then increased 2 stitches at the centre back on alternate rows until I had 63 stitches. I think that’ll make the hood about the right size, though I won’t know for sure until it’s done.
I am now on the straight stretch. I took a look at some other hooded baby sweater patterns on the internet and they seem to recommend a depth of 7 inches, so once I have knitted that length I’ll do a three-needle bind off.
After that, all that will remain is to sew up the side seams and find a baby to fit into it!
The endless green of the bamboo yarn had me itching to knit something else, so I started a red scarf with the skein of Lion Brand Homespun that was left over from my machine-knitted wrap. On the ball band were directions for a garter stitch scarf knitted out of one skein, double strands, on 15mm needles. Well, I don’t seem to have 15mm needles (amazing, I thought I owned every size there was) so I’m using 12mm. I cast on 15 stitches and I’ll just keep going until it’s run out.
It’s good TV knitting – I have a DVD of a British sitcom series from the library, which I can watch while I’m knitting (Yes, Prime Minister).