This went down successfully with the kids today so I thought I’d post the recipe. I made it up as I went along, based loosely on what I remember of pastitsio when I spent time in Greece. Obviously the original has meat in it, and a white sauce, but not having any non-vanilla-flavoured “milk” in the house meant I skipped that step.
Here’s how I made it.
- Cook a packet of wholewheat macaroni – mine was 375grams
- Saute 2 onions in a generous amount of olive oil until soft
- Season with oregano (about 2 tsp), salt (about 1 tsp), black pepper, cinnamon (about 1 tsp) and a sprinkle of allspice
- Add one pack of Yves Veggie Ground Round Original (340grams) or equivalent meat substitute
- Add one 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- Warm through and mix with the cooked and drained macaroni
- Transfer to a baking dish
- Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees F, top with half a pack of grated soycheese (I used half of a 284gram pack of Vegan Gourmet Monterey Jack), bake for a further 20 minutes
I served it with Greek Salad made with cucumbers, tomatoes, and the Fake Feta from How it all Vegan (Barnard and Kramer).