negative space


Edited to add name of yarn…it’s Schoeller Stahl Cotton Mix. 60% cotton, 40% acrylic, shade # 0016 Azure. And I’ve finished the pair, thanks to more beach knitting time and sitting out on my deck this evening, enjoying being outside and observing the neighbourhood activities.

I’m not being negative, that’s just the name of the latest pattern I’m knitting from Knitting New Mittens and Gloves. I’ll confirm the yarn another time – it’s one I bought from and I can’t remember the name of it, but it’s made from cotton and acrylic. Sort of aran to chunky weight.

At first I wasn’t sure about the yarn choice – these really would be nice in a woollier type of yarn – but now that the first one is done I like it.

The design is a Norwegian wedding mitten style, according to the designer. A fingerless mitt with a triangular extension that covers the top of the fingers. I-cord is used to bind off and add the spirals at the cuff, and also to trim the opening at the top.

The pattern called for 6mm dpns for the hand and 6.5mm for the i-cord. I didn’t have any 6.5mm dpns, so used the smaller size for everything. That was okay for the i-cord around the top, but a bigger size on the cuff would have made it a little larger and therefore easier to get on and off.

I expect I’ll make good progress on the second one at the beach this afternoon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s