Many moons ago, I was given an apron that I was told was made from one metre/yard of fabric. It was unusual in that the square of fabric was turned on point and a hole was cut for the head to go through. Again, this is something that I’ve been meaning to recreate for a long time, so I pulled out some old flannelette to experiment with.
I cut the fabric to make a 40″ square. The finished apron is huge, so next time I would try 36″. I used my rotary cutter and ruler to trim off two opposite corners, just little triangles with a 2” edge. The bottom corner was rounded off using a flexible curve (bendy gadget that you can manipulate to shape and then draw your curve). The top corner was rounded off and I then drew a circle on the wrong side of the fabric, large enough for my head to go through. Some rough calculations led me to make a diameter of 9″ but it could have been smaller.
If I had been doing this properly, I would have used bias binding around the edges. However I didn’t have any and just hemmed the edges, snipping the curves inside the holey part.
I used my rather convenient trimmings to add ties to the squared off corners, but if I hadn’t had those, I would have used some twill tape or something from the store.
I’m just catching up on your posts since my eye surgery. You’ve been busy sewing up lots of items. Hope that apron solves your problem of wearing out shirts.