Utility apron

Standard
Jeans butt apron!

Jeans butt apron!

The flower close up showing more accurate colours

The flower close up showing more accurate colours

Project #3 today was an apron idea that’s been brewing in my mind for a bit. When I’m at work, I tend to lean against the fabric cutting tables a lot and that wears out my T shirts quickly. If I have a metal button behind the T shirt, it wrecks it fast.

I also like the idea of carrying a pen and a pair of scissors with me when I’m roaming the store, and who knows what else might come in useful – a tape measure perhaps?

I was looking at some of my bright cottons and wondering whether I should go for more Hello Kitty, more brights, or more sober colours. And then I found some old jeans that I’ve been meaning to upcycle.

I took my sewing scissors and cut around, below the waistband, leaving it intact, then down the side seam, across the butt below the pockets, and up the other side seam. Hemmed the bottom edge. Cut two strips from a leg to make ties and added them to the ends of the waistband. Sewed a line down the centre of one pocket to make two narrower sections for scissors and a pen.

The flower is cut from a cotton fabric and isn’t actually attached yet. I need some Heat ‘n Bond so I can iron it on. That will have to wait until Monday.

One response »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s