All of the home time has paid off. Yesterday I made all seven granny squares. I did all the round 1s first, then all the round 2s, and so on. I made sure that there were, for example, no round 5s the same colour. Each square is completely different.
Now that the dot blocks and grannies are done, I can focus on the remaining strip of seven blocks: the original pattern has flowers which are pretty but fiddly with their dimensional petals. And I have already experimented with these other squares.
I worked today but managed to get all my ends woven in (100 total for seven grannies) and tomorrow I can start playing with other squares.