I love this fabric. When it came in at the store where I work, we all loved it. Tie dye on one side, stripes on the other. Basically a double knit jersey. Not too thick or warm, just right for when you need more than a T shirt but not quite a woolly sweater.
There were some flaws in the bolts, though. So they ended up as “damaged goods” and I got to bring some home.
I decided to turn this red/orange colourway into a top based on a commercial sweater I already own.
It has a pretty wide neck (too wide, really), set in sleeves, and a ruched section at the front.
When I folded it in half and drew around it on paper, I planned for the front and back to incorporate the sleeves so I didn’t have to cut them separately or sew them in. I curved the underarm to make a dolman shape instead.
I laid the paper on the fold of the fabric, and cut around it, adding seam and hem allowances.
Sewing the seams and hems was super easy. And the ruching was achieved by adding a long rectangle of fabric behind the left front, sewing along the sides and centre, threading the ties through, then sewing across the top of the casing to hold it all together.
I finished the neckline with a folded binding, but using it wrong side out, so it’s stripey rather than tie dye.
I wore it to work the next day, and I’m wearing it again today, accessorized with the shawlette I made with the stripes of pink, orange, lime and turquoise. Eye-popping combo!
The gathering is the right touch !