Yay, it’s another FO (finished object). I posted this morning with a photo of my less-than-satisfactory snowman. Only one comment was received (from Eleonora of Coastal Crochet.com) but I was glad of the input. I agree with her that the hat looked too big, so I whipped it off the stocking and tossed it. I repositioned the scarf slightly, duplicate stitched an alternative hat, made a tiny pompom (just like I used to when I was a child, with two little cardboard circles) and added some stick arms.
Tai Chi Man also thought the hat looked wrong but the scarf was okay, so that gave me the extra impetus I needed to change things. And he approved of the pompom hat too!
Specs: Loops & Threads Impeccable in red hot, kelly green, orange crush, white and black. Size 8/5mm needles.
I am surprised at how quickly I finished this. It took less than two weeks. I have no intentions of knitting any more though – it’s time to get back to the crochet.
November 11th tomorrow – Remembrance Day – which reminds me to continue to pray for peace. Have a great day.
I had lots of opportunity to knit today. A couple of hours in a coffee shop followed by a wait at a doctor’s office meant loads of progress. I really don’t know how people can just sit around with nothing to do with their hands!
Wednesday – leg finished
The above photo includes the stocking that my friend asked me to use as a guide.
Thursday – heel flap in progress
And now on the way to the toe
I’m going to the pool tonight so probably not a lot more will get done today. I really must get to my sewing machine soon. There’s a couple of things I want to make. Unfortunately (!) I’m working the next two days.
It’s been so long since I finished a knitting project that I had to go and look at my Ravelry project pages to check. I finished a cowl and a hooded cowl back in April and since then it’s all been crochet.
What has inspired me to pick up the needles again, you ask!? Well, a friend and her daughters have these knitted Christmas stockings, but her partner, who now lives with her and obviously will be spending Christmas with her, doesn’t have one. So she asked me whether I could make one for him, and I was willing to do it for the price of the yarn.
After a search on Ravelry, I concluded that the old stocking was a Mary Maxim kit, and it was a simple case of measuring the stocking and its gauge, buying some worsted yarn, and deciding on a design for the leg section. I went with a snowman.
I bought yarn from Michaels (Loops & Threads Impeccable) in red, white and green (of course) plus some black and orange for features.
Rather than knit it flat and use intarsia for the colourwork, I have gone with knitting it in the round like a large sock and I will duplicate stitch the snowman on afterwards. My plan is for him to have a black hat and a green 3D scarf and maybe some small black buttons down the front.
As of tonight I have completed 13.5″ of the leg (actually cast on for this last week). Just two of the narrower stripes to go for the leg, then I’ll make a green foot.
I’m rather enjoying myself. 😉