I am excited about my new Finished Object…
I don’t know how much wear this hat will get over Christmas but for some reason I just had to make it.
This lovely boucle Astrakan stuff works perfectly as a brim but crocheting it was out of the question. You just can’t see the stitches. It’s too much of a gamble. So I pulled out the old straight knitting needles, cast on ten stitches, and knitted a strip that was just about long enough to go around my head. I seamed the short edges together and then I managed to single crochet around a long edge with this hot pink Red Heart with Love. A lot of double crochets and gradual decreasing, plus a messy pompom, finished off the hat in two days.
I don’t have a pattern for it, I’m afraid. It was a design-on-the-go, see-if-it-works type of thing. (The pompom is held on with a bow on the inside of the hat, so it’s removable when the hat needs washing.)
I am feeling quite virtuous today, having gone to the pool two days in a row. Yesterday I swam 20 lengths, today 30. I would like to maintain a frequent swimming schedule but I am making no promises because I know myself!
I just realised it’s almost bedtime and I haven’t practised my piano tunes today. Oops! However I have spent a few hours on my Nutrition course and have learned some very depressing facts about the state of the US food industry. Ugh!
Have a good day and talk to you again soon.
The Gio hat pattern is my own, and it’s free right here on my blog. Using the Loops & Threads Zoomba again, I started out with a 10mm hook but the first three rounds came out larger than expected so I went down to a 9mm. Bad decision! The hat is no longer an adult size, but a child size (18″ circumference).
It’s not a big deal as I am just playing with no specific recipient in mind.
For the last two rounds I single crocheted with the Astrakan. I think it looks cute. What do you think?
The granny square coat has been revived and I have worked on some more squares. I am close to finishing the 62 squares but, as always happens when I’m working on a large project, I am itching to actually finish something. Finishing a few smaller projects makes me feel more productive and gives me that Finished Object buzz!
Quite some time ago, a friend gave me a bag of garage sale yarn and there were four balls of this Astrakan in it. It reminds me of some poodle-type yarn that I used as a teenager to knit a sweater. THAT didn’t go well. Obviously even if I did understand the importance of gauge at the time, how on earth can you count stitches per inch with this stuff?! The sweater came out huge.
I have this bee in my bonnet about making small gifts for my co-workers. It’s not for Christmas, it’s for anytime, and I like to surprise them with a little something in their baskets now and then. I haven’t done anything for a while, but today I was feeling the urge to make some small things from stash. I spent some time looking at ideas on Ravelry this afternoon and it was VERY hard not to rush down to the yarn stash and start something then and there. However I had a walk, cleaned the bathrooms, watered the plants, put the dinner on like a good wifey and finally was able to check out the stash.
Ooh, this yarn is soft. It was made in Italy, there are 100 grams in a ball (3.57 ounces), 45 metres (49 yards), and it’s 100% acrylic. Perfect stuff for a sheep really. So that’s what I made. I just made it up as I went. You can’t really see where you’re putting the hook so I winged it, made a general sheep shape, stuffed it, added a bit for the top of the head, then made a face and some feet with Stylecraft Special Aran and sewed them on.
Below are photos of my sheep standing and lying down so you can have a proper look!
Now I want to grab a bigger hook and make something else, something snuggly. I wonder if it would make a good cowl.