This zipper pouch caused a lot of frustration. I used two of the adding machine paper scrap strips. It was all fine and dandy until I realised I had forgotten to remove the paper and had to rip out my stitching AND peel back the fused Thermolam.
Also the top corners looked like crap and I had to figure out what I was doing wrong in that area. I probably should have just gone back and reviewed a tutorial on YouTube but you’d think I would know what I’m doing by now.
Anyway it’s good enough for my own use but I doubt I’d give it as a gift because it still has issues!
This small drawstring bag is for my boss. I used a scrap of vinyl and some quilting cotton from stash. It’s about 10″ tall and has some chocolate inside for her birthday.
Rather than boxing the bottoms the usual way, I did that thing where you fold your fabric in half, right sides together, top edges matching, then push about an inch and a half of the bottom edge up inside then sew the side seams. It makes for a cool detail on the base without the extra step of sewing across the corners and chopping off the triangles to get that 3D bottom.
I just had three days off and my main activity was reading. Why? Well, this came in at the library.
You Outlander fans will understand!
I did get some exercise in too. We went out for a sunny walk on Sunday and on Monday I spent over an hour at the gym in the morning and I was back in the evening for yoga.
Work today so I shall have to put Jamie and Claire aside until this evening!
This pattern is Nash’s Garter-Stitch Baby Sweater which is a pattern in a book, One More Skein. The first time I made it I followed the pattern. This time I did a quickie gauge estimate and cast on fewer stitches because of the bulkier yarn, and made it as a vest. The yarn is Euro Baby Maypole, and I had two skeins from my holiday in the UK last year. I made a random off-the-cuff knitted hat and only then decided to make the vest, so I wasn’t sure whether I’d have enough yarn.
I was careful to keep my tails short and even cast off a stitch each side of the back section after knitting the two fronts. With self-striping yarn, you sometimes have to wind off part of the skein to get the colours to flow correctly. I managed to do that, though the two fronts don’t match!
Well, I won the game of Yarn Chicken with this one. See that tiny ball in the photo below? That’s how much I had left from two skeins after finishing the hat and sweater. Eeek!
I love the neat fastening – one tab pulls through the other and they button down. And the buttons are from my stash.
Last night, I also made progress on the poncho, joining the two sections together. I shall have to get photos tomorrow in the daylight.
I made the most delightful discovery yesterday, looking through what was available on Netflix. Outlander! Woo hoo! Diana Gabaldon fans will know what I’m talking about. We don’t have TV/cable/satellite and I thought I’d never get to see it. Well, I burned through the first three (hour long) episodes last night. I was a member of an Outlander group on Ravelry for a while and finally I can see what they were all talking about. And all the knits that they were talking about too!