I only just got around to taking photos of these PJ pants, but they were finished before Christmas. I made them for Mr Fixit and didn’t want him to know I’d made them.
I used this pattern which I’ve had for a long time…
The blue tie dye ones are French Terry so he’s been wearing those to sleep in. The thin fleece ones with a Christmassy vibe are more for lounging in. I was surprised that the inside leg on the pattern piece was only 30 inches so extended them a couple of inches. I didn’t want them to be too short, as that was his main gripe about the shop-bought ones.
This isn’t a great shot but it was evening and I forgot to get a daytime picture before taking this coat to work. The colour is a deep magenta.
This fabric is called Nubby Boucle and is 100% polyester. It’s retailing for $50 a metre so the only way I was going to sew with it was to do a display project for work. I get to bring it home after a month.
Sewing with this fabric was mostly straightforward though I did break a needle when it had to get through four layers. And if I made it again I’d only interface the part of the front bands that’s hidden inside. I ended up having to trim back some unsightly white interfacing that was showing when the front of the coat flipped open.
I was also surprised by how narrow the sleeves were. My arms are pretty average and yet there wasn’t much room, especially if I wanted to wear a sweater underneath. Note to self: if I make this again, make the seam allowances smaller.
The instructions include three buttons and buttonholes. I thought I’d stick with just one button because I wanted it to drape nicely if I was moving around and sitting/standing. As the button I chose is huge I opted for a piece of cord to make a button loop. Much easier than sewing a buttonhole.
I fully intended to play in my sewing room again today but life got in the way. I stayed up late last night so slept in late this morning. Then I spent an hour taking down the Christmas decorations, tossing out the poor dried out tree, and vacuuming up ten tonnes of pine needles. And then I had to make a meal plan for the week and go out for groceries. And then it was time to make dinner. I had some help. We made sushi and miso soup and tested out a recipe from the VegNews magazine – Spiced Gingerbread Brioche Cinnamon Buns – which were as awesome as they sound and have about eleventy billion calories in them. Divine!
I think the rest of my evening is going to involve reading a Dean Koontz book from the library.
After my first bowl cosy turned out to be a big disappointment, I went on to make another with two solid pieces of fabric.
Hmph, sadly my topstitching was crap and any ideas I may have had for making a bunch of these were dashed on the rocks. Bowl cosies and I have broken up!
Mt Fixit and I are using them, though, as they are handy when you want to have a hot bowl in your lap.
We had a bit of a flood in the kitchen over the weekend. The Berkey countertop water filter was overfilled (son #1 filled it then Mr Fixit topped it up without realizing it) so by the morning water had leaked across the counter and onto the floor and had, rather unfortunately, soaked two bags of flour.
What do you do in that situation? Use the damp flour to make bread, of course. I ended up with five fresh loaves from the wet flour bags which I think could be considered a win!
A more successful sewing project was this pair of PJs made with some fleece-backed knit fabric from the store I work at. Super-easy to make and they will be perfect for winter nights.
I blitzed the house yesterday, went out and got my tire fixed (it had a screw stuck in it), watered my plants and basically got myself all caught up so that today I could just sew.
After a bit of yoga and sunbathing, I retreated to the sewing room. I had a list of potential projects to work on and what I ended up doing was…
All of these fabrics were in my stash. The plaid was a little short so I had to be creative and put my pattern piece opposite ways and refold the fabric carefully (did you notice the pattern runs the “wrong” way on one leg!?). The paper pattern is one I created from an old pair of PJs ages ago.
The paisley flannelette was one I bought years ago just because I liked it. And now I have a friend who’s going to be a grandfather soon.
And the bucket hat is made from quilt cottons and a little interfacing. The pattern is from Sweet Red Poppy and it’s a free download. My printer produced it a bit bigger than it was supposed to – I made the adult hat, forgetting that fact, and it’s big on me. Still, this was the ‘test run’ from which I learned that, yes, I still dislike sewing circles and cylinders together. There were a few frustrating moments with this hat, such as the time that my spool AND bobbin ran out at the same time and it was the perfect shade of pink and I didn’t have any more.
I added a couple of eyelets at the back to cinch it in with a short piece of ribbon.
Another small and quick make from earlier this week is this seahorse set. These are beads I gave myself in my Advent collection last December.
And while the tire folks were fixing my tire yesterday I used the time to walk to Michaels and have a slow browse around. I found these neons which reminded me that I still want to make a sweater with a pop of neon (ideally I wanted pink and green, but these’ll do).
These babies were only $2.99 each as all yarn was 25% off.
So now it’s almost bedtime and I am working the next four days so you can see why I wanted to pack a lot of crafting time in today!