Ah heaven! An unprecedented three day weekend off! Today I spent a couple of happy hours playing with quilt cotton scraps. I pulled out red and green fabrics from the stash, red and green threads, and some batting.
I built up two blocks from the centre, sewing the strips to the batting as I went. I cut the batting at 11 inches square, then trimmed them to 10 inches once covered in fabric.
I’m not usually a fan of classic red and green for Christmas, but I thought these worked out okay.
However when I made the two squares into a bowl cosy (from a random tutorial on YouTube) things went a little awry.
This is my first bowl cosy and I should probably have just used two basic squares rather than pieced ones, because the bulk at the edges made for some very messy topstitching. Also, I rounded the corners but now think that right-angles would have been easier to get neat.
Oh well, lesson learned. I can use this myself and perhaps practice making some simpler versions for gifts.
This was an intense amount of sewing. Whilst pulling out fabrics for my little gnome quilt I found the leftovers from the quilt I made last year with the zippers for tree trunks and the flying leaves and butterflies. There were some pieces of patchwork already sewn together and some long strips.
I spent a little time before a late shift building up fabric from all the pieces and then continued the next day until I had a large rectangle-ish shape.
I had a big enough chunk of the leafy fabric to make the lining without piecing.
I quilted the patchwork to some cotton batting with simple diagonal lines and trimmed everything to the same size.
I wasn’t sure when I started what sort of bag this was going to become but I ended up adding casings for a drawstring and a handle (set in diagonally as I’ve seen in some other bags).
It’s huge. It could hold a lot of yarn. A sweater project at least. And I love how cheerful it is.
It’s been a good Sunday. We’ve been to the library and I came home with a huge pile of crafty books and magazines to browse through at my leisure. We picked up tea at our favourite tea shop, where Mr Fixit had them smiling at his gnome mask! We went to the gym and burned off a microscopic percentage of the calories we have ingested since the Christmas season’s baking started. And I spent two hours in my sewing rom making two more cuffs.
These cuffs take about ten minutes to make. However the rectangle of scrappy strip fabric that I used to make them took about an hour and a half to create! Not a quick project if you do it this way. I’m happy that I finally used the turtle button from Maui. The one with the silver button is a gift.
When we returned home from the gym, ds3 was in the process of baking more gingerbread cookies. Jeepers, we’re still working on finishing the chocolate babka. And I plan to make some berry crumble bars tomorrow because I have been craving them since the last time I made them. I am thankful for loose comfy pyjamas right now!
A couple of days ago, I started crocheting a ruana type wrap from the blog, Your Everyday Heirlooms. It’s called the Boho Cozy Wrap and is basically a rectangle with a split in it so that the back is all one piece and the front is divided. I had the link in here, lost it, and now I can’t seem to add it…Grrrr! (ETA: link now added)
I grabbed all my worsted weight yarn, all three bags of it, took out the cream, and started in on it. I have made mine larger, a decision which I may come to regret if the thing ends up dragging close to the floor! Instead of 142 chain, I started with about 200. It’s just half doubles back and forth and to contain the randomness a little I’m using regular(ish) stripes of a tweedy green and a black.
Two days of crocheting have yielded a piece that’s 73″ long by 7.5″ wide. It’s actually a perfect scarf size right now. I’m second-guessing my choice to leave in the yellow and pale green (the latter is showing as a very obvious bright strip in the photo) so now I wonder whether I should just continue to make a solid rectangle and call it a blanket.
I don’t know if I’ll wear it out and about with the current colour combo though I am of the opinion that the more colours you put together the less any one of them will stand out as not fitting in.
I don’t have to decide yet though. There are 20 rows done and at least 20 more to go until the instructions for the neck division so I shall mull it over as I crochet.