Tag Archives: starburst

Easter mitts


I will give you a link to my Ravelry project page which will link to the motif and the method I used to turn it into fingerless mitts. Why Easter mitts? Well, it’s nearly Easter, and the colours remind me of painted eggs.

The project page isn’t complete yet as the project itself is a work in progress, but I have made similar mitts to this before. I came across the older project recently and thought it was time for a new incarnation.

This motif, on the website “Crochet Spot” which I have linked to on Ravelry, has a couple of anomalies in the instructions for round 1, but as long as you’re not a total crochet noob you will be able to follow them. (I did leave a comment on their post.)

I don’t know if it’s just me, but both times I have made this motif it’s been very ripply which indicates to me that there are too many stitches being squeezed into the circle. However I am working with this rippliness (totally a real word) as when the finished square is folded in half and seamed to make a mitt, the centre of the motif snugs into the curve of the wrist.

When I made these mitts before, I used a 6mm hook and a total of 6 rounds worked perfectly for size, but this time I’m using a 5.5mm hook and will need to add an extra round.

In case you’re wondering why I’m not making another nest, I am ‘resting’ my wrists with some looser gauge crocheting. I did something to hurt my wrists, which have been quite painful today – it’s either the tight crochet or playing around with foam dumbbells in the pool last night. (I met my friend and she showed me some physio exercises she’s been doing. I think I overdid it!)

Okay, it’s an early night for me. Ttyl!

Starburst Cowl



Starburst Cowl

This is the second project made for display at work. I found this neat pattern for a cowl that uses a star stitch that I haven’t tried before. The first row was a bit of a learning curve and I had to redo it but after that it was easy and I enjoyed it. The stitch pattern is very pretty.

The cowl was crocheted with a 9mm hook (I went up a size as I tend to crochet tightly) and in fact a looser stitch is beneficial so you can work into the top of each star for the next one. The yarn is Red Heart Heads Up, 3.5oz/100g ball, 106yds/97m, bulky weight, 80% acrylic, 20% wool. I don’t buy wool for myself, being vegan, but this was a freebie and I will end up giving away the finished product.

It’s a snug cowl, stretchy enough to put on without unbuttoning it, but fairly close fitting at the neck. Circumference is 18″.

It’s another beautiful day here and I’m just about to run ds2 down to the closest bus stop, and later ds3 and I are meeting friends for another challenging hike. Happy autumn days!