Tag Archives: apron

Sewing day!

Standard

A friend came over today, bringing her sewing machine and supplies with her, and we set ourselves up at my dining room table, she at her machine, me at mine. One of the things that puts me off sewing, I think, is going downstairs to do it. Yes, I have a craft room with everything I need in one place, but I prefer it upstairs where it’s brighter and more comfortable, which is why I usually opt to crochet on the couch.

However I have been partway through a sewing project for months now. I made a table runner from a gorgeous panel of fabric that I bought at work, and I had the eight coordinating placemats cut out and pinned. I just needed to sew them up, turn them right side out, and topstitch them.

The placemats are reversible – heron fabric on one side, cherry blossom on the other. I still have a bit of this fabric leftover so I’ll have to pull it out of the drawer and see if I have enough for napkins. I know there’s none left at the store.

Once I was on a roll, there was no stopping me. Out came the Weekend Sewing book and the pattern tracing paper, and I started on an apron. This fabric was one I spotted as soon as it arrived at the store – so funny – and I just had to get some. I only bought 0.8m (about 31″) and I really could have done with a bit more for the apron, but at the time of purchase I didn’t have any specific plans. In future I’ll know that a metre is an absolute minimum cut.

 

Luckily I had some green fabric that worked for the facing on the waistband and ties.

It was very enjoyable to be sewing again, especially with company. I must do it more often.

I have also completed a second pair of the Slipper Boots, this time in Pewter. Two strands of Red Heart with Love and a 7mm hook work perfectly and I just extended the upper and sole by three rows at the widest parts to make them man-sized. The ones I made for me are in constant use and very cosy.

img_6167

Now that Christmas is over, I must get back to swimming, piano, and that one WIP that has a very definite deadline. Happy New Year to all.

 

 

 

Full apron

Standard
Humongous apron - prototype

Humongous apron – prototype

Many moons ago, I was given an apron that I was told was made from one metre/yard of fabric. It was unusual in that the square of fabric was turned on point and a hole was cut for the head to go through. Again, this is something that I’ve been meaning to recreate for a long time, so I pulled out some old flannelette to experiment with.

I cut the fabric to make a 40″ square. The finished apron is huge, so next time I would try 36″. I used my rotary cutter and ruler to trim off two opposite corners, just little triangles with a 2” edge. The bottom corner was rounded off using a flexible curve (bendy gadget that you can manipulate to shape and then draw your curve). The top corner was rounded off and I then drew a circle on the wrong side of the fabric, large enough for my head to go through. Some rough calculations led me to make a diameter of 9″ but it could have been smaller.

If I had been doing this properly, I would have used bias binding around the edges. However I didn’t have any and just hemmed the edges, snipping the curves inside the holey part.

I used my rather convenient trimmings to add ties to the squared off corners, but if I hadn’t had those, I would have used some twill tape or something from the store.

image

Utility apron

Standard
Jeans butt apron!

Jeans butt apron!

The flower close up showing more accurate colours

The flower close up showing more accurate colours

Project #3 today was an apron idea that’s been brewing in my mind for a bit. When I’m at work, I tend to lean against the fabric cutting tables a lot and that wears out my T shirts quickly. If I have a metal button behind the T shirt, it wrecks it fast.

I also like the idea of carrying a pen and a pair of scissors with me when I’m roaming the store, and who knows what else might come in useful – a tape measure perhaps?

I was looking at some of my bright cottons and wondering whether I should go for more Hello Kitty, more brights, or more sober colours. And then I found some old jeans that I’ve been meaning to upcycle.

I took my sewing scissors and cut around, below the waistband, leaving it intact, then down the side seam, across the butt below the pockets, and up the other side seam. Hemmed the bottom edge. Cut two strips from a leg to make ties and added them to the ends of the waistband. Sewed a line down the centre of one pocket to make two narrower sections for scissors and a pen.

The flower is cut from a cotton fabric and isn’t actually attached yet. I need some Heat ‘n Bond so I can iron it on. That will have to wait until Monday.