Tag Archives: bagsewing

Still summer

Standard
Still summer

I’m not quite as desperate to see the summer end as I was a short time ago. We’ve had a week of mid-20s Celsius and it’s been a sweet relief from the heat of the last couple of months.

The local wildfire is still burning but not growing, as far as I know; there is plenty of helicopter activity around here and every time I hear a fire truck siren I worry that there’s a new fire.

We are only allowed limited watering but the cooler nighttime temperatures have helped the garden green up a bit, though Mr Fixit went out this morning to “mow the weeds” rather than grass!

I have this weekend off so took the opportunity to sew myself a lunch tote. I used a tutorial from a YouTube channel, MamaProject, which is new to me. I haven’t done a recessed zipper before but this one was easy.

Because I planned to use this for my work lunches I used Thermolam fusible fleece on the back of the canvas outer, and Insul-fleece on the lining. The base is vinyl backed with Peltex and the lining also has the Insul-fleece on it.

When it came to the final topstitching I didn’t even try to sew through all the layers at the side seams!

The lining is a basic undyed canvas and I added pockets on both sides and made channels for cutlery.

I would make this bag again but without so much padding. I do like the way the recessed zipper is done.

I also have a new knitting PIP (project in progress).

I pulled out my DK yarn stash and weeded out the colours I didn’t want in a cardigan, like yellow, orange and black. As you can see, my half of the coffee table has no room for anything else.

I’m making the Festival Cardigan (link to my Ravelry project page here) using 12.75mm needles and five strands of DK for each square.

With four squares across the back, that means 20 yarns per row which I have corralled into bags, one for each group of five.

I have to do a little untangling at the end of each row but so far I like it! This will be a good stashbuster.

Nine Patch Convertible bag from Yoan

Standard

This bag is an amazing design. So much work must have gone into the planning and production. It took me most of the day to make this, about six hours actively sewing plus breaks for food and stuff.

It has two straps so you can wear it as a backpack or shoulder bag, attaching to either the upper or lower D rings.

The fabrics I used were in my stash. Four of them are from one grouping and the orange was from a different range but coordinated well.

The above photos are the finished pockets. There are four zippers in this bag!

Below are the component parts before assembly.

A lot of hardware too!

Considering the fabric, the interfacing (Thermolam and SF101 aren’t cheap), the swivel hooks, D rings and sliders, and the time it took to make, this wouldn’t be a viable product to sell, but I made this for the joy and the challenge so it’s OK!

I have tabs open on my laptop for a couple more Yoan videos so perhaps you’ll see another completed project this weekend.

Have a great weekend, crafty friends!

Squeezing in sewing time

Standard

Often when I get home from a full day on my feet, having lifted myriad bolts of fabric and dealt with lots of people (can you say extroverted introvert?!) I am wiped and all I have the energy for is food, tea, Netflix and bed.

Other days, given the right motivation, I can actually get things done.

The barbecue display at work

One evening to make an apron and a second to make an oven mitt to add to the display.

The finished rope bowl

My hand-dyed yarn crocheted over cotton clothesline.

A new mask and earsaver

Just because I love the camper fabric so much!

And another WhitneySews bag from the same tutorial as the cat bag I showed you last time. How adorable is this fabric, with the yarn-bombed trees!

One day, I managed to have a complete sewing room blitz and now everything is tidier and better organized.

All that clear space waiting to be used!

I’m working tomorrow but then I have three days off. Ooh, what mischief can I get up to?!

FO: patchwork tote

Standard

The patchwork tote that I envisaged last week is now a reality. It always feels like free fabric when you piece a lot of scraps together.

I confess I did buy fabric for the lining. The zipper is one of my cheapie ones from an online purchase (they work out at about 35 cents each) and the pink fabric for the pocket lining was in the stash.

I hit a snag after putting it all together. I realised that the large curtain grommets that I planned to use wouldn’t work because of the zipper pocket. I should have placed it lower down.

So a quick purchase of emergency 14mm grommets later, I had my handles sorted.

This bag is super roomy and I love it!

More dodgy bags

Standard
More dodgy bags

The beach fabric with the camper vans, surfboards and beach houses has been put to good use in two more bags for the #dodgybagmal2021!

This zipper pouch is bigger than the owl one I talked about a couple of posts ago. I increased the height of the denim base by one inch and did the same with the upper exterior fabric. It made for a more roomy bag but maintained good proportions.

The inside has a couple of extra slip pockets just because.

That was Sunday’s project.

Today’s was a bag from Erica Arndt on YouTube.

Rather than piece a patchwork pocket (how’s that for alliteration) I used a single piece of the surfboard fabric and as I had fusible fleece inside I didn’t bother doing any quilting.

The handles are quite narrowly positioned but I wanted to avoid covering certain parts of the print. If I make this bag again, I will definitely add zipper tabs to avoid that pulled in look at the ends. And I would use my best fabric for the pocket as that’s the main feature.

Sew much fun!