I have found my next project, and probably many more after that. Wildlife Rescue Nests is an organisation founded in Canada which has spread to many other countries. They have a Facebook page and a website.
If you wish to knit or crochet nests for orphaned animals and birds and donate them to your local rescue agencies, you will need to sign up on the Facebook page, read the terms and conditions, and download the patterns. They are made with two strands of medium weight yarn and worked tightly to make them as firm as possible. Such cute photos of the nests in use by tiny rescued creatures!
Tonight however I have finished my scrappy basket. Once again, it’s nighttime and I only have living room shots! Final measurements when laid flat – 16″ across and 17″ deep. I stuffed my Boho Cosy Wrap inside it to show it standing up so I can attest to the fact that it will hold a lot of yarn.
This project used ALL my small random balls of yarn, although I have to confess to tossing out a little bit of laceweight that I just couldn’t see myself ever using, and a small quantity of super bulky has been tucked in with some of its friends downstairs.
I made it up as I went along, starting with a chain at the bottom centre, which I worked around in an oval until it was big enough, then continued without increasing for the sides. I decreased six stitches about a third of the way up, then repeated that about two thirds of the way up. The top edge is finished with reverse sc.
I’ve only woven in a couple of ends around the top/handles, and I may just leave the rest. It’s not quite as self-supporting as I’d hoped, so I shall just have to keep it filled with yarn and/or a project.
The basket grew well this afternoon, as I sat in the sunshine pouring through my dining room window. In between bread baking stages, I spent a couple of hours on the straight sides of the basket. It looked like I was going to run out of scraps so I zipped downstairs and found a few more small balls to add to the pile.
If I can keep the three strands to one DK, one worsted and one bulky it works out perfectly. The going was less tough once the banana fibre was finished, and the only other slightly challenging part was working into the round of bulky boucle (Red Heart Stellar from an old project).
This is fun!
The Rags to Riches fingerless mitts which I posted about a few days ago do have a pattern page on the blog, Spruce and Salsify, and here’s a link.
I didn’t realize until yesterday that the pattern had already been published.
I spent a couple of tense days without a hook in my hand, wondering what I would make next. (I confess, it truly is an addiction!) I wanted something chunky that I could make fast, so last night I pulled out my container of scraps (small balls about 5 grams or less) and a 7mm hook and starting crocheting with three strands of yarn together.
I’m making a scrap basket to hold more scraps – how holistic is that?! The hooking can be a bit hard on the hands with this firm a tension but I do want the sides to stand up on their own.
This is the progress so far…
It’s all single crochet (or double if you’re in the UK). It’s amazing how random fibres and colours can become a cohesive whole when mixed this way. The purple is banana fibre, the white is cotton, the rest mostly acrylic, and I’m just adding in another yarn when one runs out, so there are no hard colour changes.
I am very grateful for this day and for you, my dear readers.
Well, actually, yes it is!
I present to you the (almost) finished Groovy blanket. Just the ends to weave in now.
I still have an overflowing bag of yarn and I think I could probably make two more blankets from what’s left!